Friday 9 September 2011

LALBAUG CHA RAJJA & ME..


Life is journey and we meet strangers during the journey. Sometimes these strangers play positive role in our life by sharing their life experiences. While  I was returning from Lalbaug, a well-known area of Mumbai during Ganesh festival, a something like that has happened.  

I went for mukh-darshan of Lalbaug Cha Raja, a Ganpati believed to be Navsala Pav Nara means one who listens to his devotee. So there are millions of people around the globe visit Lalbaug’s emperor during Ganesh festival to seek blessings with their wish-list. I was also among them. My wish as corporate animal was to get better paid job. All my friends have got the well paid break last year and in spite of my best efforts, I  was left behind. I mailed my resume to numerous job consultants, friends and attended few interviews too. But luck was not clicking. Though my current job does fill my financial need, greed to earn more money was making me restless. This restlessness was hurting my daily peace and family relationships. I had feeling that God is not kind with me.


Finally I decided to involve Ganpati Bappa into the matter and  I went to seek his blessing at Lalbaug. It was very VERY  long queue of devotees, and I got chance for darshan at midnight. Rajja's darshan was enlightening experience. I forgot all my tiredness and cursing of long queue at first glance of beloved Ganpati Bappa. I am not very religious but became at that very moment for a moment. After finishing darshan I took cab to home. Real story starts here.


Cab driver Santosh Sharma, was talkative and I am good listener. During the journey he narrated his life experiences and listening to him has become life experience for myself !

He talked about his wife's heart surgery, his indebtness, his religiosity…… his life struggle. While speaking about his wife’s medical treatment, he explained the complex matrix of our public medical system, the importance of religion in common man’s life, our social structure etc.

I am just translating his hindi words into English  :

“ While returning from Patna, suddenly at Kurla station (Mumbai) my wife has developed pain in stomach due to long travel. I knew from my friend that tablet Genpack works for stomach pain and I gave her. But it did not worked and her stomach started swelling. We rushed to general hospital. Inspecting doctors told me she is fine by prescribing another dose of Genpack. I did not trust their judgment and I insisted more details. Finally looking at my intensity, they did some medical tests and told me meet expert doctor at third floor immediately. That doctor was nice and he also works at Lilavati( 5 star hospital of Mumbai). He told me my wife is having heart trouble and she requires to admit at ICU immediately for more tests. We rushed to ICU. They told me to deposit Rs 2 lakh. I requested them to let my wife be admitted, and will deposit money once it’s arranged. They were not agreed. Finally, We went to private nursing home for medical tests. At private nursing home, they did the medical tests of Rs.10000 and one heart surgeon told us that my wife is having problem with heart valves,3 of them are dysfunctional. They have  to be replaced. First question I asked was, how much is the surgery will cost ? He replied Rs. 6 Lakh..I was totally shocked !! .. I already had debt of Rs.30,000 due to cousin marriage and now how will I procure Rs.6 lakh.. !! My wife’s health was deteriorating day by day. Nursing home daily expense was also increasing. I prayed to Maiyaa( Goddess). That night I got idea to call my ex-boss, with whom I had fight and left the job last year. I knew his brother is heart surgeon. He gave his brother’s cell number. It was at 10PM, and I dialed his number. Mostly he switches off his mobile after 9 PM, but thanks to Maiyaa, that his mobile was not switched off. He talked with nursing home’s doctor and told me to immediately shift to JJ hospital. He assured me that my wife will be fine. His words were so refreshing JJJJ He arranged the ambulance and I paid Rs.2500 for that. Thanks to Maiyaa that we reached hospital on time. At hospital, security guards were not allowing our ambulance. I lost my temper, I asked “ do you know Dr.Ajit Kumar ?This is emergency “.. They opened the gate and we took my wife to ICU… Doctors were ready for her…They gave some injections to my wife and put her into big machine for some aaa… graphy. I was looking everything with startled eyes and not understanding anything of it. I just kept chanting Maiyaa’s name all the way.

Next day they told me that my wife is out of danger now and I need to arrange Rs.2 Lakh for surgery. Actually my ex-boss’s brother has agreed to operate my wife for free and I have to pay only for medicines and operation theater charge. That’s why surgery cost was 2 Lakh instead of 6 Lakh.  

Actually when he was narrating all these, I was getting bored. But I did not intervene and let the flow continue. He continued.

I went to my friends, relatives, and charity organizations. Somehow I have managed Rs.2 Lakh and deposited to hospital. I thought that now everything should be fine but new twist has come. Doctors have cancelled surgery date 3 times. I was confused. My friends asked that had you consulted Manju Maiyaa.. ? “

I asked:  Who is she ?

She is god lady, residing at Titwala Mandir. She knows everything about her devotees. I went to seek her blessings and without my explanation, she told me that “Do Mrityujan Jaap(Chant) at Santracruz (my residence) or Titwala( her residence) and your wife will be operated. “. Jai ho Maiyaa ki.. I asked my pandit friend to do Mrityujan jap and he agreed  to do the Jap at Goregoan, his residence. Neither I could deny his offer or accept as Maiyaaji has told me to do the jaap at either Santacruz or Titawala. Miracle happened. Day before Jap, my pandit friend called me to inform that he will do the Jap at Santacruz only… Jai ho Maiyaa Ki..

Me to hailed  Jai ho maiyaa ki  as proper reaction.

Once Mrityunjay Jaap has completed as per ritual, My wife surgery has also completed. Doctor told me that they will announce patients name and inform about success of surgery. There were 6 patients who have been operated along with my wife for heart problem. As each name was announced, relative of patient came out crying. I was waiting with beating heart and Maiyaaji’s name on lip. Finally my name has been announced and I went inside the ICU cabin. Doctor told me that out of 6 surgeries, only your wife has recovered fully. Now my wife is fine and healthy.. Jai ho Maiyaa ki. Now my problem is indebtness of Rs.3 Lakh, I have to pay to my borrowers. I am working in two shifts, day and night. At daytime I work as car driver and  at night I drive taxi. I am sure that within 3 years, I will pay all my debt…Jai ho maiyya ki.”

I left Santosh Sharma’s taxi with happy note. In the bed, I was thinking about my problem of earning more to Santosh’s life struggle. How Santosh has managed his wife’ problem with meager resources he had ! How could illiterate taxi driver has dealt with difficult medical jargons as Cardio gram, Angiography,.. Etc ! …

Santosh Sharma has never lost hope on his destiny, faith in Maiyaa. Santosh sharma was not cribbing for his wife’s uncalled illness and the mental, financial, physical stress it has caused Instead, he was thanking God (Maiyaa) for keeping the hope alive.. …

I realized in-stead of complaining about my petty problems to Ganpati Bappa, I should learn from Santosh’s life to slog on. And thank Ganpati bappa for what he has given me, instead of what he has NOT given me. I should focus on my work, strive for excellence and find solace in my daily life, instead of cribbing for money only.

This time emperor of Lalbaug has shown me the correct way through taxi driver Santosh Sharma.



Regds

Vadan

No comments:

Post a Comment