Friday 12 August 2011

UNKNOWN UNCLE

This is short story is fiction, based on true relationship.
Fortunately my bedroom window is not blocked by any skyscraper. It gives me view of entire society and connecting pathway. My window is gateway for me to observe my surrounding life activities. I like to watch running children to catch the school bus, rushing office executives, milkman pedalling his loaded cycle, relaxing security guards, crooked crows, anxious pigeons etc.

Accidently I have noticed an old gentleman in late seventies, mostly in jovial mood, greeting people, gossiping with security guards, humming songs sometimes, plucking the flowers etc. In our country, where mostly old age is considered only for Bhakti & Bajaans, this kind jovial senior citizen is hardly seen. I didn’t know this guy personally but it has some sort of impression in my memory.

One day I was taking elevator from ground floor and saw that old man, coming towards the elevator. I stopped for him and we both got on. He supposed to go to 7th floor. When elevator reached at 2nd floor, it suddenly stopped with jerk. Lights have gone and we both scared. He hold my shoulder and asked “Kay Zala ? What happened ?”. I assured him that it seems electricity failure and “Now what ?”. Fortunately electricity came and elevator started. We both relaxed and departed with smile. This small incident has created thin, very thin bond between us.

From that day onwards, whenever he met me, we used to exchange short smile and informal conversations. I used to call him Uncle. Once I was on my scooter, I saw him, walking on pavement under heat. I stopped my scooter and offered him lift. He gladly accepted and we reached home. At parking lot, he told me that he has been to market and it was very Crowded as entire Mumbai. I was just listening his perspective on Mumbai. He told me that Mumbai has more people, more vehicles, more building, more shops than forty years ago. Mumbai has grown 5 fold in last forty years but infrastructure has remained the same. Mumbai has grown but not developed. There is difference between growing and developing. Plant grows, while child develops his/her mental skills during education process. Growth is outcome of natural consequences, while development is planned effort to grow system methodically.

In grown but not developed Mumbai, population has increased but not the system capacity. The irony is that, we as Mumbaikar can successfully plan huge festival as Ganesh Visarjan, but unable to plan comparatively small event as traffic outside Dadar railway station. Our Senior Citizens suffer most because of monstrous city growth and mismanagement of our civic system. It’s painful to see our senior citizen, struggling to climb, ruined stair cases of local railway station, compare to their counterparts at developed countries enjoying, railway stations with elevators and escalators.

Days were passing and life was getting busier and busier. Once I had very tense office day and while returning home, I was in no mood to talk to anyone. At society gate, I saw Uncle. I tried to avoid him but failed. He was in jovial mood as always. He shouted “ Hi. Warrior, how are you ! “(He used to call me warrior, as travelling in local train during peak hours is kind of War ).

I avoided answer and returned one fake, lifeless smile. He joined at elevator. He sensed my foul mood and chose to be silent. When my floor came, he just asked. “Tension Hei !!”. I nodded and closed the elevator door.

Some relations can’t be explained by words. They are connections, we as human share with other human beings. F.eks. Someone hold exit door for you, when both of your hands are full with shopping bags, or someone exchange railway berth for you so that you can be closer to your wife. We don’t tend to remember these small helps we receive from stranger, but it plays major role in making this world more human and nice. Small but significant Uncle’s gesture has eased my office stress a bit.

Since last few days, I did not see Uncle at society gate. I was not much serious about it. One day, while having dinner, my wife informed that “ The Old man, your friend (with teasing smile) , living in 723 has shifted to Malad”. I stopped eating for a while. Uncle has gone. That old man, who has occupied very small place in my conscious, has gone. God bless him and I resumed my dinner.

Few days after, I saw him from distant at Society ground, waving hand at me. I walked towards him and he walked towards me. We met at mid way. He told me that his son has purchased bigger apartment and they have shifted. He came to complete certain society financial procedure. I wished him best of luck and we departed. As he turned around, I felt like asking something and I shouted “UNCLE, what’s your name ?” He turned back and said “Sawant..Prafull Sawant”. I smiled .. .”Good bye Sawant uncle”..
Some relations don’t fall in any kind of categorization. They are just human to human connections. These relations are just formed accidently. Sometimes they grow and take shape of friendship and sometimes they just vanish.. disappear without leaving trace.

It’s like two strange passengers, build sort of trust relationship during journey and as journey ends, they depart as stranger as before. My relation with Uncle was something like that, but it was fun.

By Vadan Mehta

No comments:

Post a Comment